Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Happy Halloween!

              Happy Halloween everybody! Or as my English teacher pronounces it: Happy Heroin! I hope you guys enjoyed celebrating Halloween this year, and if you "celebrated" the second pronunciation of it, I hope you enjoy jail. Anyway, my Halloween was uneventful with not a piece of candy in sight. I bought myself a stick of extra-sugary Mentos in order to celebrate, but other then that the day passed just like any other.

              In other Big Dong news, my Chinese has been improving and I am now able to read a decent amount of Chinese symbols and I am understanding a lot more of what people are saying to me and about me now, which is nice. I am also diligently practicing piano everyday with pretty good results. I am now able to play three songs! Soo impressive. But I am improving and three songs is better than just knowing how to play the Flintstones which has been my song of choice for the past 8 years or so.
        
       This past month has flown by, it seems like just yesterday that I posted even though it was over three weeks ago. Everything here is good except for how hard it is to fit in around here. Even though last time I said I was used to people staring at me, I am constantly getting more and more agitated with the fact that anywhere I go, except for my house, there are people staring at me. Knowing I am always being viewed as an outsider is frustrating especially now that my Chinese is improving and I am beginning to feel at home in this country.
            
            But to leave you on a happy note, starting three weeks ago I have been taking Karate lessons for two hours every night. The class is located on the roof of a little run-down motel about 20 minutes away from my house by bike. ( I'll put some pictures up of it next time).  My teacher says that I am improving very quickly and I have already become an orange belt! If I keep up at this pace I will return home as a brown belt. Now, I know that traditionally it takes a few years to obtain the brown belt and some of you are probably thinking that this place is bogus. Well it is and it isn't. Every two months there is a test that everyone can take to get the next belt. The last test was last Friday and I must say that the sight was pathetic. In a perfect world, one would have to master each kick, punch, maneuver, and dance required to receive the next belt. However my teacher-in an interest to maintain his clientele- decided to pass anyone who bothered to show up, and for those of us who actually put forth real effort, we are rewarded by jumping one belt in advance (instead of getting yellow, I got orange.)

Side Note: Happy 19th birthday Jessie!!

       Well that's all for this brog, seeya next time!
Thomas George Richter the First

2 comments:

  1. Happy Heroin made me laugh out loud. You are a funny writer--keep at it. And Uncle Jim will be so jealous when you can speak fluent Chinese and he can't. Maybe he'll bring you there as a translator. Thanks for posting--sorry--I feel like I shamed you into it but think of what a kick we all get out of reading it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Big Dong! No worries about the candy... Gabriella and Lincoln have eaten plenty for you! Just think how much better off your teeth will be. Your comments about not fitting in make me think about all of the minorities here in DC that must feel like that all of their lives... Sounds like you are keeping busy! Can't wait to see you jump over 6 men and kick a brick wall! Gaye

    ReplyDelete